The ride was introduced by Eli Bridge Company in the mid-1950s. It was a fairly novel ride at the time. Even though riders were elevated only a short distance above the ground. These rides dot the country and have been around for many years. This ride is fun at any age and even though it is an old ride it is still a good one.
About a decade ago (1999?) Lagoon repainted the ride giving it a sparkly paint job and a unique Lagoon logo painted on each car. The new paint job goes to show that this classic isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
The Space Scrambler has spent most of its time on the North Midway , but has had a few different locations around the park. When the Wild Mouse opened in 1965, Space Scrambler was its neighbor to the east. It was relocated when Jet Star 2 opened there in 1976. During part of the 1980s, it could be found on the South Midway east of Musik Express before returning to the North Midway at its current location.
Here is a list of known locations for Space Scrambler with the general time frame it was in each location.
- 1961-1961: North Midway, probably where the Sky Ride station or Jet Star 2 are today
- 1962-1964: South Midway, near The Whip and Speedway, Sr.
- 1965-1975: North Midway, east of original location of Wild Mouse where Jet Star 2 is now
- 1976-1981: Unknown. Possibly east of Jet Star 2 or on the South Midway
- 1982-1986: South Midway, east of Musik Express
- 1987-Present: North Midway, northeast of the Game Time building